The Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Environment (IMHEN) is a governmental, research and implementation institution under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) of
IMHEN has been involved in a large number of studies and researches covering both basic and theoretical research, as well as scientific and technological applications. IMHEN's climate related studies include: climate change processes and modeling, Southeast Asian Monsoon, climate change and sea level rise scenarios, climate change impact assessments, climate risk reduction studies, and so on. To meet the demand of the country’s socio-economic development, IMHEN has also conducted and participated in sustainable development activities with specifically designed programmes such as climate change impact assessment on agriculture, water resources, and coastal zones.
Researchers and staff IMHEN played an important role in preparing
IMHEN has excellent expertise and experience in the following fields:
- Tropical meteorology, climatology, atmospheric physics, applied meteorology and climatology, meteorological and climate prediction, and climate change;
- Agricultural meteorology and eco-environment, agro-meteorological prediction, meteorology for livestock, aquaculture and pest-disease management;
- Agro-meteorological experimental stations for
- Oceanology, ocean circulation, atmospheric-ocean interaction;
- Coastal hydrodynamical and sedimentation processes, coastal protection measures, salt water intrusion in the surface and ground water in the coastal area;
- Applied hydrology, hydrological prediction, water resources assessment and planning, deltaic hydrology and estuary;
- Ecological system in the ocean and coastal areas, mangrove forests;
- Hydro-meteorological and environmental measurement automation, information technology and system management, remote sensing and GIS;
- Environmental management, environmental engineering, environmental impact and risk assessment, environmental prediction, environmental stations.
2. Climate change related activities
Climate change related activites which have been implemented by IMHEN include:
- Climate Change, Sea Level Rise Scenarios for
- National Target Programme to Respond to Climate Change in 2008;
- Vietnam Initial National Communication in 2003 funded by GEF/UNEP;
- Project ‘Strengthening National Capacities to Respond to Climate Change in
- Project ‘Sea Water Level Rise Scenarios and Possible Disaster Risk Reduction in
- Project “Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources and Adaptation Measures’ funded by DANIDA;
- Project ‘Benefits on Climate Change Adaptation from Small and Medium Scale Hydropower Plants: Synergies and Trade-offs with Rural Development’ funded by DANIDA;
- Project ‘Climate Change and Disaster Check of Danish Sector Programme’ in
- Vietnam National Strategy Study on Clean Development Mechanism funded by the World Bank;
- Climate Change Impacts in
- Economics of GHG Limitation, Phase 1: Establishment of a Methodological Framework for CC Mitigation Assessment funded by GEF/UNEP;
- Climate Change in Asia:
- CC: TRAIN (Phase 1) funded by UNDP/UNITAR/GEF;
- Project ‘Vietnam Coastal Zone Vulnerability Assessment’ funded by the
- Project ‘Preparedness for Disasters Related to Climate Change’ funded by the Netherlands Red Cross;
In 2010, IMHEN successfully hosted the first meeting of the Vietnam-US Working Group on Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation (WGCC) with subcommittees set up.
In 2010 and 2011, IMHEN continues to implement the following climate change related activities, including:
- Nine projects under the coverage of the National Target Programme to Respond to Climate Change;
- The National Scientific and Technological Programme on Climate Change; and
- Other projects and programmes within the National Target Programme to Respond to Climate Change.
IMHEN has cooperated with partners in
3. International co-operation in climate change
Over the past years, IMHEN has established and promoted its international co-operation with the such organisations, institutions as WMO, UNDP, GEF, ADB, UNEP, UNFCCC, World Bank, and IHP/UNESCO.
IMHEN has signed bilateral cooperation agreements, memoranda of understanding, with institutions and agencies in
It has also cooperated with other partners in the